You'll love this if:
- You're getting started tracing your ancestors in Idaho
- You want new ideas and resources to get past an Idaho brick wall
- Your genealogy search is focused mainly on Idaho
- A how-to article detailing Idaho's history and records, with helpful advice on tracking your family there
- The best websites, books and other resources for Idaho research, handpicked by our editors and experts
- Listings of key libraries, archives and organizations that hold the records you need
- Timeline of key events in the Idaho's history
- In the 1840s and 1850s, Idaho was merely a stopover for migrants on the way to California's gold fields. Utah Mormons founded the first permanent white settlement, Franklin, in 1860.
- Because of its relatively late settlement, Idaho has spotty vital records coverage into the 20th century.
- Idaho grew from less than 17,000 residents in 1863 to nearly 90,000 by statehood in 1890.