You'll love this if…View AllClose
- You're getting started tracing your ancestors in Washington
- You want new ideas and resources to get past a Washington brick wall
- Your genealogy search is focused mainly on Washington
- a how-to article detailing Washington’s history and records, with helpful advice on tracking your family there
- the best websites, books and other resources for Washington research, handpicked by our editors and experts
- listings of key libraries, archives and organizations that hold the records you need
- timeline of key events in the state's history
- full-color map to put your research in geographical context
- In 1775, Spanish explorers became the first European explorers to set foot on Washington’s soil while seeking the fabled Northwest Passage.
- Order post-1907 birth and death and post-1968 marriage certificates from the state health department
- Washington Territory sided with the Union during the Civil War. To research your soldier ancestor, search the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System and check microfilmed indexes to service records, pension applications and the 1890 special census of Union veterans.