Do you want a program that allows you to keep track of your family history research in one place? Whether you’re new to genealogy or you’ve been doing it for years, Family Tree Maker software* is a great way to grow and preserve your family tree, and we'll show you all the tips and tricks for making the most of it. Join us in this four-week online course to discover the tools and features that allow you to easily manage and organize your research.
Make Your Family Tree Grow!
In this four week course, you’ll get lessons that will help you understand Family Tree Maker software* from the first moment you open it. You’ll learn how to upload an existing tree or start a new one, as well as how to sync it with your online tree at Ancestry.com. You’ll discover how to use its vast array of options to manage your information, create charts and reports, and search for your information on the web - all using this software.
You’ll love Mastering Family Tree Maker if:
- you bought Family Tree Maker software and you want to make the most of it
- you are new to genealogy and want a great tool that will help you find and preserve your family history in one place
- you want to be able to sync with your Ancestry.com online tree
- you want to learn the advanced features and navigation to turn your raw information into charts, reports, and other family tree products
- *Family Tree Maker software is a product of The Software MacKiev Company
In this course, you’ll learn:
- how to use the basic and advanced features of the software, from the first time you open the program to publishing tools to share your results
- how to search and sync with Ancestry.com and download a FamilySearch.org tree
- how to navigate the site’s features and use the functionality to build and preserve your family tree
- Welcome! Start Here
- Introduction to Family Tree Maker
- Introduction to Family Tree Maker
- Create Your Tree
- Adding People, Finding People
- Exercise and Discussion Module 1
Build Your Tree
- Editing Your Tree
- Adding a Fact
- Different Ways to View Facts
- Best Practices for Using Facts
- Undo Changes
- Source Citations Workspace
- Setting Up New Source Citations
- Research and Citation Notes
- Exercise and Discussion Module 2
Using Workspaces in your Research
- Plan Workspace
- Filling in the Holes in Your Tree
- Web Search Workspace
- Places Workspace
- Media Workspace
- Exercise and Discussion Module 3
Publishing and Advanced Tools
- Publish Tools Workspace
- Smart Story
- Output Options
- Top Navigation
- Exercise and Discussion Module 4
Meet the Instructor:
A contributing editor for Family Tree Magazine, Rick Crume has written for other genealogical journals in the United States, as well as Canada and Great Britain. Specializing in online research, genealogy software, DNA testing and British genealogy, he has spoken at genealogy conferences across North America and presented many webinars.
How do Family Tree University workshops work?
Take the course at your own pace!
From the course start date, you’ll be able to log in to view and access your lessons and start interacting on the discussion boards. Your instructor will check in regularly to answer all of the questions and provide feedback. You will have access to your courses anytime, anywhere, with a computer, tablet or smartphone, and can study when it's most convenient for you.
After the course end date, the course will become read-only for one year. You will continue to have access through your dashboard to the materials, but the discussion boards will be closed. The materials are yours to keep. You can download them onto your desktop to access online or offline.