Take full advantage of Ancestry.com's database, trees, and tools to find your ancestors. This mega-genealogy website is the go-to source for searches and DNA tests, but there's far more to the site than meets the eye. In this 4-week course, you'll learn how to master everything from the online trees and finding records, to mastering hints and and DNA matches. By the end of the course, you'll be able to apply the tips, tools, and resources Ancestry.com has to offer to build your family history.
Master Ancestry.com in 4 Weeks
Get More Out of Ancestry.com
This online course contains four lessons delivered through video and written formats, along with quizzes and exercises so you can practice what you learn. You’ll have plenty of chances to ask questions within each lesson and get feedback from your instructor, Gena Philibert-Ortega.
DATE: October 3, 2022 - October 30, 2022
You’ll love this course if:
- You’ve subscribed to Ancestry.com and want to use it to its fullest capabilities
- You got a DNA test from Ancestry.com and you want to explore your family history more thoroughly
- You want new tips and ideas for turning up more records
”Great class with lots of helpful tips and useful information. Highly recommended for someone who wants to get more out of Ancestry.com.” - PH
Over the course of 4 weeks, you’ll learn:
- How to set up and use an Ancestry.com online tree
- How to use the site’s many collections and records to find more information about your ancestors
- Tips and tricks for incorporating AncestryDNA into your family history research
- How to use the site’s many resources for problem-solving
- Strategies for using hints, adding sources and people, and so much more
- Welcome! Start Here
02.Lesson 1: Ancestry.com Online Trees
- Ancestry: Quick Start
- The Online Family Tree
- Starting Your Tree
- A Leaf Equals A Hint
- Syncing Your Tree
- Adding Facts and Sources to Your Tree
- Review & Practice
03.Lesson 2: Searching Ancestry’s Online Records
- Introduction to the Databases and Collections
- Searching Ancestry.com
- Accuracy of Records
- Searching Public Member Trees
- Review and Practice
04.Lesson 3: AncestryDNA
- 4 Reasons to Test with AncestryDNA
- What DNA Will Tell You
- Activating the Kit and Taking the Test
- Working with Matches
- DNA ThruLines
- Practice and Review
05.Lesson 4: Using Ancestry.com to Solve Problems
- Using Ancestry.com to Solve Problems
- Break Down Brick Walls
- Hire an Expert
- Advanced Tools and Search Strategies
- Using Search Engines with Ancestry.com
- Head to the Library or FamilySearch Center
- Find Offline Records with Ancestry.com
- Other Properties and Tools from Ancestry.com
- Test Your Knowledge
- Download the Lesson Materials
- Join our Facebook Group
- How did we do?
About the Instructor
Gena Philibert-Ortega holds a Master’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies and a Master’s degree in Religion. Presenting on various subjects involving genealogy, women’s studies and social history, Gena has spoken to groups throughout the United States and virtually to audiences worldwide. Gena is the author of hundreds of articles published in genealogy newsletters and magazines and of several books, including From the Family Kitchen (F + W Media, 2012).
How do Family Tree University workshops work?
Take the course at your own pace!
From the course start date, you’ll be able to log in to view and access your lessons and start interacting on the discussion boards. Your instructor will check in regularly to answer all of the questions and provide feedback. You will have access to your courses anytime, anywhere, with a computer, tablet or smartphone, and can study when it's most convenient for you.
After the course end date, the course will become read-only for one year. You will continue to have access through your dashboard to the materials, but the discussion boards will be closed. The materials are yours to keep. You can download them onto your desktop to access online or offline.