Lecture Hall - An Educational Video Series Led by Genealogy Experts
Date: July 13, 2023 7:00PM ET
The Home Archivist: Preserving Family Records Like a Pro
Genealogists are Home Archivists! They collect documents, photographs, and artifacts for future generations to enjoy. If you have a collection of records, large or small, this webinar will cover best practices for storage, organization, and preservation. You'll also learn all of the steps to process your records and get a handle on your collection!
In this Lecture Hall session you will learn:
- How to set up a dedicated space for your family history archive
- What original order is and how to use it
- The benefits of using binders, folders, or boxes for storage
- How to unfold and flatten records (and whether you should)
- How to clean records
- What hazards may exist and how to remove them
- The benefits of using archival tape
- Best practices, including climate control, for record storage
- When to consult with a conservator
About the instructor:
Melissa Barker, a professional archivist, will lead the webinar. She is a Certified Archives Manager and Public Historian who has over 17 years of expertise with Tennessee records. At home, Melissa has been researching her family history for the past 32 years!