Find Your Czech and Slovak Ancestors
Researchers with Czech or Slovak roots often battle certain brick walls. Do surname issues, border changes and language troubles sound all too familiar to you? Lisa A. Alzo, a specialist in Eastern European genealogy, will show you tools and tricks for tracking down those hard-to-find ancestors from the Austro-Hungarian Empire and Czechoslovakia.
DATE: June 19, 2023 - July 9, 2023
What You'll Learn:
- Key Slovak and Czech history, including the significance of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in relation to the emigration/immigration of your ancestors.
- Czech and Slovak surname and given name patterns that will help you trace your family.
- The best sources for determining ancestral town or village names
- How to sort out current and historical geography using maps and gazetteers
- Research strategies for finding records in Czech and Slovak archives and repositories
- Tips for translating foreign records and solving other research challenges
About the Instructor
Lisa A. Alzo
Lisa A. Alzo, M.F.A. is a professional writer, instructor, and internationally-recognized lecturer. She is the author of nine books and hundreds of magazine articles. She is the author of 11 books, including The Family Tree Polish, Czech and Slovak Genealogy Guide, and hundreds of magazine articles.